Friday, October 10, 2008

Paint Inspiration from a Hamptons cottage



I love some of the color choices in this house that was featured in House Beautiful. It is a very happy house, and combines white with refreshing pops of color. As I pore over fan decks and slap down another $15/quart for a Benjamin Moore tester, I am always drawn to the breezy summer beach cottages in my files.

I particularly love this propped up surfboards. Conveniently I have 3... just lacking a beach. I love the bedroom on the right with its splash of chinoiserie. It feels like camp with the wool blankets...



And here the homeowner got a little crazy!!!!! This bathroom is so fun (Apple Green and Decorator's White, Benjamin Moore). The navy is dramatic, and it would be interesting to see how the rooms transition with such a bold hit of color. I think about how you flow from space to space a lot, and while I love this navy, I can't quite figure out the flow.



I love the combination of cool aqua and the red pop on the quilt (Wall color is Spring Mint and trim is Light Touch, Benjamin Moore). And who doesn't love a Christopher Spitzmiller lamp? Like a big, juicy jelly bean.



The dining room is probably closest tonally to what I will have in our farmhouse. The warm cream is so necessary to warm up the space, particularly when we are digging out of 30 inches of snow.



This house is not a beach house, so I have had to revisit my color schemes. The colors can't be as clear or carefree. That doesn't mean they're darker, but they are a bit more complex. Stay tuned for the choices and the photos!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Zane Wooder said...

Even if you don't get to use the surfboard. It's a great decoration for the house.

zane