Thursday, October 9, 2008

The history of a fireplace



I am posting a photo of the outside of the house so you can really get some perspective on the discrepancy of architectural styles (I hate to say it, but SHAME Gary Wolf, I don't care how famous you are).

One of the things that I really hated about this house was the fireplace. It personified everything about the modern renovation in 1995 that I hated and that was not in keeping with the historical architecture of the house - the asymmetry, the huge black slate tiles and particularly the trapezoid top.



I mean, TRAPEZOID? When I think "favorite shape" (ok, I don't think about that often, but whatever), I don't think TRAPEZOID. The sadness of that little window. The greater tragedy of the balsa wood shelves.

Something had to be done... trying to work with the slate tile, our architect designed something that somehow made the tile look even worse. I had the builder take it down immediately.

And then last week I got brave enough to start hacking at that tile. Ah. But I still didn't know what I wanted to do with it, I didn't want to call in our architect again and the builder was saying "you have to make a decision NOW."



So I looked at fireplace images at Domino and Martha Stewart... this one in particular caught my eye. I thought it blended traditional and contemporary well.



I got to work in trusty Illustrator...



and they started building today! Doesn't it look a MILLION times better? I can't wait to show you when it's painted and the crown molding is put up. Oh, and don't forget our windows. Opens up the whole space and actually inspires you to sit down, as opposed to running screaming from the tragic TRAPEZOID.

4 comments:

for the love of a house said...

Wow, that looks so much better! Nice job on picking a new style! Where are the 'after' photos?!!

Concord Carpenter said...

I agree with you on the fireplace. I've always admired your house, great location near the O.N. bridge!

Kelly said...

oh! that trap. fireplace WAS bad! strange! glad you changed it.

Zane Wooder said...

Glad the fireplace is being redo. You need a nice fireplace in order to have a nice house.

zane