Thursday, October 23, 2008

Farm Table



Obviously you already know that I love this dining room.

But I don't love a trestle table. To me it just screams "new" and to that end looks a little cheap (sorry). However it seems to be the standard design for a farm table these days.

Or you can go more contemporary with a chunkier leg, like the Sundance Longmont table (top) or the Crate and Barrel Big Sur table (bottom). They're about the same price.



So what am I doing? Having the table custom-made of course, by one of my favorite dealers from Brimfield. The dealer, Country Squire Antiques, is in Seekonk, MA (although supposedly relocating their workshop to Fall River) and had an amazing selection of 19th century furniture when I first met them. Bob, the owner, showed me many photos of his custom work and I felt confident he could make something for me.

So I pulled out some photos that I had seen of an Italian farmhouse table sold at auction and sent them to Bob... if you look carefully, it looks like the table is one half of a pair (note the notched side on the right). Probably it was an old refectory table.



I also sent him a photo of the finish I was looking for - a weathered, well-loved reclaimed pine.



The table is supposed to be finished by the end of the month... stay tuned!

6 comments:

Willow Decor: said...

What a great idea! I will check them out as I am also in MA! Really enjoy your blog and have linked it mine! Anxious to see how your table turns out!
Gina

Sarah's Fab Day said...

I can't wait to see your table in all it's glory, I know it will look great!

Shelly said...

Don't know how I got here but I love your blog! Now that I look I think you can thank Willow Decor. We have an old farmhouse that needs work, I'm building my farm table out of old haymow flooring...we're on the same track. Happy projects!

cara said...

I love this table -- would love to see how it turned out.

simpledaisy said...

Just stumbled onto your blog!! Loved it!! I actually bought my dining room table from Pottery Barn!! I love it!!
Take care~

yna said...

I love collecting antique table like antique farm table.