Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Wonderful World Wide Web

I think this posting might be a bit controversial, and I am a bit loathe to post it. But since no one is reading this except for my good friends, I might as well share the information.

I have been obsessed with my "lighting concept" for the house recently. I can't decide if I want the pendants in the kitchen, or rather whether I like the transition from the pendants to the handing candle fixture. This is just my design process. I throw myself into the pool and frantically review all of what's available. And usually come back to my first idea. But I digress.

I was thrown for a loop because I saw these beautiful lamps from Pieces in Atlanta. You can now understand why I was questioning my lighting concept. For $985 apiece (the one on the left rather, the one on the right is a cool $495), they're not cheap.



Now I thought to myself, I don't think those lamps should cost $985. I worked for Pottery Barn, and I know mark-ups. But the owner of Pieces - Lee Kleinhelter, pictured on the website with her fashionable golden retriever - has fabulous style. That's undeniable. But $985? Puh-lease.

So I embarked on a 3 hour investigation into these lamps. Peppered with other activities, but it still took a while. And I found the same lamp shown at right at Gore Dean in Washington, DC for $325.



And then after a bit more poking, the same lamp at Red in Fredericksburg, TX for $165.



The company who produces the lamps? Jamie Young. Finding this out took some sleuthing.

The moral of the story is this. If you have a budget (like most of us do), it pays to do some research, particularly if you do not want to engage the services of a designer (back to the budget issue). I suggest starting by googling the name of the product, in this case, I googled "mercury glass pendant." You'll be amazed at what comes up!

And incidentally, I still haven't decided which pendants I am going to use. So I'll chalk up those 3 hours to business development.

1 comment:

ACQUIRE said...

Hi there!

Did you buy the pendant lamps yet?
If not, I just thought I should let you know that we carry them as well.

The small st charles is $125 and the large is $165.